Somewhere Between Earth Day and Mothers Day

Thursday, April 24, 2008 by Amy




Here it is, my one source of domestic self-esteem. This is my mild-mannered office plant that I have managed to keep alive for (count it) four months. I know it sounds ridiculous but I feel warm and happy every time I look at it. It seems to say to me, "Yes, you got your husband a $5 Subway footlong last night and called it dinner, and, yes, you were even proud of yourself for that effort but it's all okay because I'm here and I'm still alive." It's an atonement for the entire ecosystem of flowers/bushes/etc. that I let wilt away on my deck last summer. And, most importantly, it's proof to me that someday I actually might be able to nurture higher life forms such as sea monkeys, dogs and children.

Thanks, little buddy. Keep hanging in there.

Filed under having  

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh no! What does that say about my future? I can't even keep my damn little plant alive. I'm screwed.

Mer said...

You've got a green thumb Amy, and you probably didn't even know it. It does look really nice and healthy. Good job on keeping it alive for so long. You're too funny! Love ya, Mer ;o)

Kellie said...

Good on you - that's one more plant that I keep alive.