Today's Love/Hate

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 by Amy



Something I love:
this house.

This is a house that any self-respecting Ivory Homes owner in Utah would hate you for building next to them. I love it so much, though. I love the angles, the light, the sense of calm personality that comes through in every design decision. My dream is to someday build a modern home that manages to walk the line of minimalism without completely giving the finger to any sense of homieness (and not homieness in the 'Jenny from the block' way, more in the 'carpet is not inferior to concrete in every single possible scenario' way). I think this place comes pretty close to that balance. You can check it out at metrohouseaustin.com, a really cool design/construction firm in Austin. I don't love all of their designs as much as I love this one but I think what they're doing is really great. I know that there are individuals who are doing things like this in Utah, but it will be interesting to see if a major design/green-oriented builder will ever emerge here.

I want this house so bad. But I also just want straight up central air sometimes. So, here's to taking things one step at a time.







Something that I hate:
wasting time on CNN.com.

I mean, honestly, I don't even know why I even go there anymore. Bad habit, maybe. But when the two top news stories today (based on site traffic) are "Britney Back in Court" and "Sex in the City Death Rumor Addressed," I have to wonder. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for celebrity news (I have been known to buy People magazine on a whim at the checkstand more than once). But the headlines on CNN.com just seem to get more and more sensational and, in some cases, just plain ridiculous (the ones highlighted above are pretty freaking awesome). I'm fine with that, it just doesn't seem like the most legit news source anymore.

Anyone have a good, no-nonsense but interesting place to get the news online? I like NPR.org but always love new suggestions.


P.S.- I just found a pretty funny site: wtfcnn.blogspot.com. I think the name says it all.




Filed under having  

6 comments:

Whitney said...

my all time favorite news site is www.drudgereport.com

all of us PR gurus use it. he (matt drudge, founder) just pulls all news related items from different sites. and he has been sited as one of the most powerful journalists out there. he caught his break when he was the first to leak the monica lewinsky scandel. anyways, check him out!

Craig said...

Slate has interesting stuff. I agree something about cnn.com is kind of addicting. I sadly visit it at least a few times a week, and I couldn't tell you one story I've read. It's as if my brain refuses to retain it.

Brian Spittler said...

So you think you are somehow above the Lizard Man? You AREN'T afraid of a doctor nipple mix up? Listen. This is NEWS. If lizard men don't qualify for news, I dont know what will.

Kristin said...

What's wrong with getting your news off Extra? They hit all the important issues.

Jenna Theobald Broadbent said...

Your blog makes me laugh.

I love Tina Fey too. And Sabor De Soledad.

thechoulespauls said...

ok that house is amazing. remind me to show you this really cool house by liberty park. also take a drive up emigration there are some houses up there that will amaze you. one was even in dwell...