Great Expectations

Monday, May 5, 2008 by Amy

This weekend had its share of expectations, both high and low. Expectations play a funny role in life. Is it better to expect everything and be inevitably disappointed at times? Or is it better to never expect anything and have occasional moments of surprised happiness? If you were to base your life philosophy on a movie and a concert (which is only natural), you'd probably come out with one of the world's great symbols tattooed on your arm: the yin-yang.

Which is what I did this weekend. Not the tattoo part. Just the "basing my expectations and happiness in life on a movie and concert" part.




THE YIN: Baby Mama

Everyone knows that I have a fake girl crush on Tina Fey. According to my husband, it's because she validates my life-long hope that a girl who loves to eat, write and quote Star Wars actually has a future as a semi-normal and successful human being. I also just think she is seriously funny. All that being said, however, I was seriously concerned about this latest movie venture. First, I found out that Tina Fey didn't even write it (dashed were my hopes for Maternity Mean Girls). Then, all the commercials made it look not only entirely predictable but also entirely not funny.

But I am a girl with loyalty.

We saw it on Saturday as we celebrated Jon's birthday with some of our favorite friends (You all now think I'm the manipulative wife who ropes her husband into seeing the movie she wants to see on his own birthday. But that's where you're wrong. He wanted to see it too. And it wasn't even his real birthday.) And the verdict: I laughed my head off. Yes, it was totally predictable. But it was also funny in surprising ways. And I left with thoughts of cheating on Tina Fey with Amy Poehler.

The zen lesson? Low expectations sometimes lead to higher pay-offs (somewhere out there, Michael Scott just said, "That's what she said.")








THE YANG: The Swell Season show

This show was the polar opposite in terms of expectations. We bought our tickets over three months ago. I not only love their album but also adore the movie that brought the two main players in this act (Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova) to Utah in the first place. And there's a magical combination of love, sacrifice and success in their story that everyone loves to believe is possible.

When we got to The Depot on Friday night, I started worrying if maybe my expectations were a little too high. There was a huge line of people waiting to get in and it made me a little annoyed (I really hate crowds). Plus, the lame snobby part of myself looked at the people around me and said (in my head), "You're only here because you saw these guys on the Oscars."

When the show finally started, I realized how stupid I was being. It really was an amazing show. Backed by members of The Frames (Glen Hansard's former band who is also definitely worth a listen), all of the songs that made me love the Swell Season took on an even greater life. And that's when I discovered why all of these people came out to this show: when someone does something that they really love and they put themselves completely out there for it, it speaks to people. Glen Hansard isn't the most technically accomplished guitarist out there. He only plays one guitar for the whole show and it's the same beat-up one he played in the movie. It's not about an impressive stage set-up or mixing or anything like that. It's just beautiful songs by people who love what they do. And it's a reminder to me to forget all of the unimportant things that you think hold you back from doing what you love and just try it. Because sometimes creating something beautiful and meaningful even in the face of imperfection is the most impressive thing.

It was a pretty perfect show, though.

The zen lesson? Sometimes, high expectations are good. It makes you remember that amazing things are possible when even those are exceeded.




So, there you go. I left this weekend with my expectations satisfied. And I'll try to avoid referencing the yin-yang ever again.

Filed under having  

8 comments:

Sherrelyn said...

Did you really just admit you can quote from Star Wars?
Seriously?
I must know, . . . all episodes or just episode IV? Is this a skill you possess (as in: you can quote from just any movie and/or TV show), or are you able to evoke other small and inconsequential details relating to all things Star Wars?
If this is (indeed) the case, you need to know I have the Star Wars Trivial Pursuit edition at house (I am looking at it right now) and you are hereby challenged…

Monica said...

Amy...I love how you write! I will now come to this blog looking for pure entertainment...you better keep it com'in! You are a most talented girl!! Sounds like you had fun this weekend...i'm jealous!

Anonymous said...

I have a real crush on Tina Fey.
I'm glad you guys liked baby mama too.

Isorski said...

I saw Swell Season last Monday in Portland. Had seen them last year and they were awesome. I had lower expectations this time, now that they are all 'famous.' But like at your show, they surpassed what I expected!

I posted a review on my blog at http://isorski.blogspot.com/2008/04/concert-review-swell-season.html.

Also, NPR ran an interview last week. If you go to NPR’s site at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90093038&sc=emaf, you can hear the interview. Check it out!

Kellie said...

I saw Baby Mama on Saturday too and really liked it. Both ladies were great in it and I can totally see how you might want to cheat on Tina with Amy. Those ladies have it all - check out this interview from Marie Claire:

http://www.marieclaire.com/hair/celebrity/behind-scenes/tina-fey-amy-poehler-interview

Whitney said...

i love this post. josh and i went to see baby mama under the same impression and left quoting it and loving it! yes, predictable, but didn't you just love how WT amy's character was?

Craig said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Craig said...

Amy I hope this isn't an attack on the yin yang...