Life Questions

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 by Amy



Spending your weekend in Afton, Wyoming can get you thinking. You start asking yourself questions like, is that really a five year-old driving that ATV? And since when have men worn button-up sleeveless shirts? Tucked in?

Here are some of the better questions that came out of this weekend.


1) So this is what it's like to have grandparents? Grandparents were the point of this whole little trip, namely Jon's grandparents. I've never had the fortune of having grandparents who cared or knew much about my life (To be fair, it's not really their fault. Being dead and/or emotionally stunted by your childhood as an orphan are not entirely things under one's control). But I have to say, I now get what all the fuss is about. My inherited grandparents are kind of awesome. We came to stay with them for the weekend and they did such grandparent-ly things as insist on filling up our gas tank, teach me how to play Chinese Checkers, give me an amazing old red Schwinn bike and keep us fed with a constant stream of homemade cake and cookies. Sound like a ten year-old boy's dream? That's probably about right.

2) Do I want to be a farmer? The scenery was beautiful and there was nothing to do except enjoy it all weekend. Hence, for about ten minutes, I thought, "Maybe I just want to live on a farm, in the country." I got a pretty good fantasy going in my mind until I tried to imagine Jon milking a cow and me doing anything involving poo or bugs. Then I realized that what I really want is to read books all day and not have to go to work. Turns out, my dream life is not defined as "farmer" but more as "lazy."

3) Can you really pickle zucchini? The answer is, yes.


Filed under , having  

2 comments:

Mer said...

Wow! That's a pretty good post. You know I find myself asking similar questions whenever I go to a pretty remote area. For example, the Navajo Rez (reservation). Although, instead of wondering if 5 year olds are driving ATV's it's more like wondering if they're driving cars. Oh yeah, and whenever I ask myself if I could ever live on the Rez, I always have to remind myself that I did.
PS Your grandma does look pretty cool.

Anonymous said...

Well, this is Anna Lloyd, and Lauren told me to check out your blog. Jon, the fact that you have family is WY makes you that much cooler. Isn't WY trippy? Did you see any sweet mullets while you were there? It is mullet central. And the county fairs out there... well, let's just say WY is it's own world. I hope you're doing well, and it was fun to read your blog! :)encpfg