Returning to Our Roots

Thursday, June 19, 2008 by Amy



So, apparently this very persuasive campaign from the Polish Tourism Board worked 'cause we're going to Poland!

Jon and I have been thinking about doing this for a while. Amidst all of our joking about our mission courtship (it's just jokes, relax), we never got to serve in the same places. I am so unbelievably excited to go. I love traveling more than anything. Unfortunately, I also get somewhat freaked out by money (and the lack thereof) and those things fairly regularly clash, especially with airfare being as expensive as it is now and me accepting the idea that I have to be a responsible adult. But at some point we realized that, while still being sensible, you have to just go for it and do stuff every now and then because the experiences and memories are the whole point of life.

So here's the itinerary for our little Eastern European adventure: we're going to fly into Budapest on Aug.5, spend a few days there, then go to Prague. We'll be in Prague for three days and then we'll head up to Krakow and then to Warsaw, stopping along the way in some of the smaller cities that we served in. Then we'll end the trip in Gdansk/Sopot/Gdynia, the beautiful tricities area of Poland that is right on the coast of the Baltic Sea. Then we'll fly out of the Gdansk airport on Aug. 19.

July is going to feel like a really long month to wait.



P.S. -- I could find out the actual translation of the French on the poster, but I'd rather have all of you give me suggestions of what you think it should say. You know, like, "Come Lay Some Pipe in Poland," or "Come Expand Your Horizons with these Fancy Tools I'm Holding." I know you can come up with some good ones.

Filed under having  

13 comments:

paul said...

when i was in prague, all the stupid ad people kept saying "budapest is the new prague." which is just a dumb ad thing to say.

you will love them both. incredible.

also, i like the subtle-almost-imperceptible "laying some pipe" reference on the poster. classy.

Emily said...

I'm hot. These pipes are hot. Poland is hot.

I am so excited for you guys! What a wonderful time you have together. (I have to admit, I am a bit jealous.)

Sarah Jane said...

That sounds amazing! I am sort of sad because I think you'll be gone when we come to Utah with the bambino, but Poland will still be cooler, and apparently quite alluring with all those apron-clad men.

The Playin' Lakins said...

I think I like Emily's suggestion the best!
You will have so much fun. . . but one day I get to hear about this 'mission courtship!' To be honest I didn't even know you went on a mission . . . so we SERIOUSLY need to have lunch one day! So much to catch up on!

Kellie said...

How exciting!! We're with you on the countdown to August - our trip to Turkey corresponds almost perfectly with your vacation. Only 46 days to go!

Andy said...

Budapest is great! I suggest you go to the public baths. It's like a spa, but they have a lot of rules that you can't understand. They separate the men and women at the beginning and then you have no idea what to do. Jared came out with some type of loincloth that was at least 50 years old. At one point they sent me into a pool and I got in trouble for swimming in the wrong direction. Just so you know, everyone does the froggie-stroke in a clockwise direction.

Mike and Lauren said...

I'm really glad youguys get to go. It's really true about the experiences. As far as the witty idea of what that poster says...it might take me a minute. We love youguys!

thechoulespauls said...

who cares what it says. just look at him!

sounds like a fun trip. i've always wanted to go to poland. adam's been. we are heading to sweden soon. so i can't wait complain...

Ali said...

What a life you guys lead! Hooray for travel! July could be really long. . Good luck with that.

Kristin said...

I think the line says, "You think my pipe is big? That's what she said."

Fritz said...

what!?! you get to both see your husband AND travel together. what is the world coming to? (have fun!!!)

Whitney said...

my first thought was, why did amy post something on fabio? that is awesome, i am so happy for you guys! you have to post all about your trip since i won't be here to hear it in person. you're right, you gotta go now and make the memories because it's something you two will cherish forever!

we are all really reall ridiculously good looking in poland.

candace said...

Whitney said you had blogged about your camera hunt, which brought me here...but I couldn't leave without commenting on this post. We should set something up with my friend, Mary who just got home from Poland...I'm sure she'd love to talk with you!

I'm still working on the copy for the ad...how about "Scotland's pipes are nothing compared to ours."