Yes, I'm a Bookworm

Thursday, July 17, 2008 by Amy



So, the other day, I was in Smith's Marketplace and I saw a kid trailing behind his mom's cart, walking unsteadily down the cereal aisle. Why? Because he had his nose about two inches away from the pages of the book he was trying to read as he walked. I waited to see his mom turn to go down another aisle. He stopped in a daze, not even attempting to keep up with her. Two seconds later, she doubled back and impatiently pulled him along. I had to laugh. It really took me back.

I was that kid.

Let's be honest. I was a geek. I read anything and everything I could get my hands on, regardless of my comprehension level or age appropriateness of the material (which may have explained why my mom found me reading "Gone With The Wind" in second grade and then had to explain to me what the Civil War was). Every night, I would sneak books into bed with a flashlight. I remember loving to see the sun rise as I finished the last page of whatever it was I was reading that day. My whole childhood was shaped by the books I read, from "Babysitters Club" to "Brave New World." I was that same kid, driving my mom nuts because I wouldn't put the book down for long enough to keep up with her.

Which is why I'm loving the adult reincarnation of my love for books: The Kellie Bacon Book Club (it's called that because we all know each other through Kellie... get it? Kevin Bacon, Kellie Bacon... I thought it would be funny). Anyway, I can't say enough about how much I love my book club. All of the girls in it are smart, funny, successful, insightful, insane. I used to think joining a book club was a boring mom thing to do. Now that I see all of the crazy stuff that women actually talk about at book club, I realize that this is the hip place to be.

I'm also adding this Shelfari thing to my blog to show the books I'm reading or have read, both for book club and outside of book club. I always love recommendations from the people I like. And I'm going on a trip soon, which means that I want to take at least my full body weight in books (Jon told me I have to carry the backpack with the books-- I think it's his attempt at regulation). So, comment away and tell me about all the stuff I should be reading.

Filed under , having  

7 comments:

kathy w. said...

All The Little Live Things, by Wallace Stegner, is my all-time fave. Breaks my heart every time, so make sure you're up for it beforehand.

The Wet Engine, by Brian Doyle is lovely.

I read short story collections lately. I don't know if you're into that, but you're welcome to borrow any of my books.

Also, Christopher packs as many books on trips as I do. If we ever go to Poland, we're both doomed.

thechoulespauls said...

So funny, I went to the grocery store the other night and forgot I told kaleb he could read for a while before he went to bed. Karin and stacy came over for a visit and after they left he came down stairs at 1 in the morning, after reading for 3 hours, saying I'm ready for you to put me to bed. I was super mad but at the same time a little proud...

Mer said...

Ha,ha,ha. Come to think of it. I do remember you reading all the time. It always inspired me to read more.
I was looking at your shefini thing and couldn't help but notice your Stephen Colbert book. I don't know if you like him, I love him. Anyway, whether or not you are a fan of Colbert, you have to watch this video. Hilarious! I promise it'll make you laugh, maybe even wet yourself a little. Love ya!
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/stephen%2Bcolbert%252C%2Brain/video/x5c7fj_stephen-colbert-vs-rain-dance-off_fun

The Jessups said...

I used to read when I was young, but then once I had assigned readings throughout school, I felt I never had time to read for enjoyment. So, I, too, am in a book club now! We hardly talk about the book when we meet, but it's fun, and it's got me reading more again!

lori said...

Amy, Amy, Amy!! I knew you must be out here somewhere! I have actually tried a few google searches in the past...but I finally just saw your name on the BHS sight. Hooray!

I loved this post as it brought back a stack of memories =) You are one of my favorite bookworms!

Wes and I were at his parents house last weekend looking at old pictures and we talked a lot about you, wondering what you were up to these days.

Can't wait to dig through these posts. Hope you don't mind my hopping over to spy on you! Need to get your e-mail so I can ask personal-type questions like where are you living and what's your fam up to, etc, etc, so forth!

OK. Gotta love long comments! So happy to find you, friend!

lauren said...

so what struck me about this post was the fact that i am the exact same way. i'm such a book nerd. combine that with glasses, braces and a bad perm and you have my childhood.

Mike and Lauren said...

I seriously love you and your reading habits. You were so anxious to read everything you would always fly through your books. Ok, now I'm ready for a new post...love you